- Penn State defense allows less than 15 total points
- Penn State totals more than 400 yards on offense
- Penn State uncertain quarterback situation will not prove to be a major issue in this game
On paper, this game looks like a complete wash. Despite a heartbreaking 3 point loss vs Iowa, the Penn State Nittany Lions (5-1) still feature a top-tier defense and a solid offense and should have no problems dealing with an underwhelming Illinois Fighting Illini (2-5).
The game is scheduled for Saturday, October 23 at 12 PM EST at Beaver Stadium in University Park, PA.
Betting Odds & Lines for This Game
- Spread: Illinois +23.5, Penn State -23
- MoneyLine: Illinois +1200, Penn State -2000
- Total: O/U 45.5
All odds listed are courtesy of (PointsBet | Caesars | DraftKings | Fanduel | BetRivers)
Illinois vs Penn State Prediction: Spread
Penn State ranks 4th in the nation in points allowed, while Illinois ranks 120th in points scored. The defense alone could probably win this game for the Nittany Lions. The only reason this spread ends being closer than predicted is if Penn State is forced to use a backup quarterback because of Sean Clifford’s injury.
Even then, Penn State should still be able to put up a decent amount of points.
- Free Prediction: Penn State -23
Illinois vs Penn State Prediction: MoneyLine
It would take nothing short of a miracle for Illinois to upset Penn State in this one. However, this is college football and strange things happen all of the time. But don’t overthink this pick, as the Nittany Lions should easily take care of business at home.
- Free Prediction: Penn State -2000
Illinois vs Penn State Prediction: Total
The total will depend on if Sean Clifford is under center on Saturday. If Clifford is under center, I like the over. However, if he is not starting, the O/U will be extremely close to the listed original.
I like Penn State winning by a final score of 31-13, so we will set the under at 44. However, keep tabs on who is announced as the starting quarterback for the Nittany Lions for Saturday.
- Free Prediction: 44
Bet on This College Football Game
Check out this post for a full list of our weekly college football predictions.
- Penn State rushing games combine for over 120 yards
- Penn State quarterbacks throw at least 2 touchdowns
- Illinois makes at least 2 field goals
- Illinois throws for at least 1 passing touchdown
Bet the Props
Enter the team or player you’d like to find prop bets for and search below.